The Entrepreneur of the Year® competition, sponsored by Sanlam and BUSINESS/PARTNERS, is an annual competition that recognises and honours South African entrepreneurs in the small and medium enterprises (SMEs) sector. The competition celebrates excellence in entrepreneurship with the aim to inspire others to venture into and succeed in the world of business.
The Entrepreneur of the Year® initiative is not just about the competition. It is about:
- Developing the standard of excellence in entrepreneurship throughout South Africa;
- Promoting entrepreneurial excellence as the norm and not the exception;
- Promoting entrepreneurship as an honourable and rewarding yet challenging career;
- Educating entrepreneurs so that they reach a standard of excellence;
- Educating the youth about what entrepreneurship entails with the aim of encouraging them to select entrepreneurship as a viable career option;
- Influencing government legislation by being the voice of entrepreneurs in order to create a healthy regulatory environment in which entrepreneurs can thrive.
Entrepreneurship isn’t the finish line – it’s a journey of continuous learning, unlearning and relearning. As an entrepreneur you must strive to be an expert in your respective field. You may not have all the answers, and that’s okay, but don’t settle for the mediocrity of not knowing.